Saturday, November 15, 2008

Round the World Racing

I love ocean racing. It is my dream to one day race around the world. I, like perhaps many of you, have sat at home for hours figuring out the finances of starting a mini (the boat) campaign. Of course, this will probably never happen. But wow, these races are incredible.

Unfortunately, like all things sailing, they are hard to spectate. Being 3000 miles offshore doesn't help either. Equipment failures and weather keeps from live transmissions being broadcast. But at the same time, it is extremely easy to follow. There aren't any complex rules to follow, the boats simply go fast and find wind. The main problem is, they are slow. Although the boats move at incredible speeds, the races themselves last for months! What a difficult proposition.

The boats are what keeps me coming back for more. They are, first of all, gorgeous. The incredible graphics and shapes of these machines are amazing. Then there's the speed. I figure the top speed I've gone on a sailboat is 14 knots or so. I can't imagine going 30 or more! Much less 3000 miles from land in essentially a hurricane. These guys are the real deal.

I do believe that these races present an excellent opportunity for sponsors, especially the ones with multiple ports (VOR). But, there are very limited opportunities for US sponsors. You won't see even a commercial featuring offshore sailing in the US. My thinking is, how is a whale splashing around or a talking head more attractive to an audience than your name on an insanely cool offshore racing sailboat. It is classy, professional, and fun. I saw a BMW commercial online two years back featuring their AC boat and it was very cool looking. Why not broadcast those? I understand they've expensive to shoot but when you already have the footage, use it!

One day we'll see a well done ocean campaign or race, one that includes heavy United States publicity. Just not right now.

No comments: